It’s census time!
Here’s everything you need to know about the 2020 Census in Sandy Springs, and why it is so important for you to fill it out!
What Is The Census?
The Census is distributed every 10 years, and is used to gather information about the populations and communities all over the country.
In this data-driven era, you are right to be cautious about giving out your personal information. Companies are constantly trying to gather as much information about you to personalize their advertisements and products for you.
The Census is NOT like that at all. You CAN TRUST the Census!
This is the one place that you WANT to give your information.
The questions are simple and non-invasive. Check out some sample questions here.
What Is This Information Used For?
The Census information is used to help represent you, and your community, in a bigger picture.
Here are some of the ways that the Census information is used:
- To determine the number of seats that each state has in the House of Representatives
- To show where communities need new schools, hospitals, roads, restaurants, factories, and other critical operations
- To decide how billions of dollars are allocated into different programs, such as Medicaid, SNAP, Head Start, block grants for community development projects like sidewalks and mental health services, education programs, school lunch programs, and housing vouchers.
- To adjust or redraw electoral and congressional districts
The list goes on and on, but the bottom line is that the Census is designed to HELP us.
What About Sandy Springs?
The Census has already been a huge help to our city.
Have you noticed all of the sidewalks along Roswell Road? MIles of that came from money based on Census data. Also, just this month, the City was able to bring in about $384,000 in COVID-19 CARES Act funding based on our previous Census data!
If we want more federal funding coming to our city, we need everyone to complete the census!
The city of Sandy Springs has put together a Resident Guide on their website with a lot of local information regarding the Census.
- Highway Planning
- Public Transit Systems
- Support for our Schools
- Prevent Child Abuse
- Respond to Natural Disasters
- Restore Wildlife
- Provide Housing Assistance
Think about your daily routine.
Maybe you’ve noticed your favorite coffee shops or restaurants are too crowded. Maybe you run into traffic on your way to or from work. Maybe you wish you had newer businesses popping up around town, or maybe you just wish you had relief from a global pandemic.
The Census could be the solution to all of those problems!
Let’s Represent Sandy Springs Accurately!
Every person counts.
In order to accurately and appropriately fund and provide for our city, we need everyone to complete the Census!
It takes only a couple of minutes, and you can do it from the safety of your own home!