Change is coming to Sandy Springs. Our job as residents and stakeholders is to manage the change for the best possible outcomes.
MARTA is currently considering the Georgia 400 and Northridge Road area for its next heavy rail station or bus rapid transit stations.
There are two possible locations, which residents of Sandy Springs could and should consider the impact of each:
- Option 1: Intersection of Northridge Rd. & Colquitt Rd.
- According to MARTA, this station would be a “commuter station” like North Springs
- Eliminates economic development potential with no retail;
- Requires the removal of 600 apartments;
- Results in more traffic congestion further into the North End.
- Option 2: Intersection of Dunwoody Place & Roberts Dr. & Georgia 400.
- Potential for “Transportation Oriented Development”
- Boosts economic development in the entire North End via retail;
- Requires only the removal of a single-story office complex;
- Adds value to the surrounding higher density multi-family housing,
- Retains the 600 apartments at the Northridge location;
- Connects and creates additional major employment centers with major population centers;
- Connect easily with Island Ford National Park (a major desirable destination) via a potential Roberts Drive pedestrian/bike bridge;
- Reduces commuter traffic sooner from Roswell and East Cobb by re-routing to a closer station.